Sunday, May 12, 2013

Grandma's advice


            While sitting in my grandmother's room after she passed time seemed frozen. The past few days had been a blur. The funeral director had come to take her, and the once chaotic room was now quiet.  All I could do was stare at her empty bed and try to remember the sweet sound of her voice. As the reverberations of my family members talking in the other room became clearer to me, I gradually realized they were planning her funeral. This was heart wrenching to me; Cancer had won the battle and had taken from me one of the most important people in my life. Could this really be happening? Is she really gone? Overcome with grief I struggled to find something of hers to grasp on to.  I suddenly realized that I did have something; this being sixteen years of warm and beautiful memories.

The positive and joyful manner of how my grandmother lived her life has greatly influenced me. She challenged me to be the best person I could possibly be and showed me how to be strong. Her whole life was spent battling one illness after another and with every new adversity she faced she was always full of love, hope, and joy. Through it all, she always told me to live each day to the fullest and take nothing for granted. My grandmother lived her life to these standards even when she was battling an illness. I have worked hard to incorporate my grandmother’s words and advice into my daily life. Her advice has influenced and pushed me to succeed and to strive for the best. She has encouraged me to try new things and to always have a positive attitude.

     The smile that my grandma continuously wore would light up any room. God was blessed when my grandmother left the world for heaven because he gained an angle. It is difficult to face the world without my grandmother, knowing that I will never get the chance to see her smile again. However, I do know that my grandmother will always be watching over me. I will be able to see my grandmother and picture her in my memories; she holds a special part of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment