Sunday, April 28, 2013

Boston Marathon


  On Monday April 15th I was one of amongst thousands of spectators who were watching the Boston Marathon from the sidelines. I went to watch the Marathon to support a family member who was competing in the race. Fortunately I was not near the finish line when the explosions had happened. I had been watching the race from a few miles away and left before the bombs were detonated. When I learned about the terrorist attack I was in a panic and feared for the safety of the family, friends, and other people who were spectators of the race. I frantically began calling those who I knew were still present at the race hoping and praying for their safety.

  The Boston Marathon attack was a situation that nobody saw coming. Everyone who went to watch the race had only one thing in mind. This was to cheer on the brave and dedicated athletes who were running in this famous 26.2 mile long race. The runners in this race were only thinking about finishing the race and achieving the best time they could possibly get. The motivation for a runner to finish their race varies amongst its twenty thousand plus competitors. Many runners run for a cause or for a person. One of the most famous runners of this race is the father son team of the Hoyt’s.  Being a runner in this epic race is a huge success and you have to have mental /physical endurance to run all the miles and hills that entails. You strive to step across the finish line; symbolizing your victory and success as a runner and an individual.

    The Saturday before the race I was in Boston visiting my grandfather at Mass General Hospital. My mother, her cousin and I decided to take a detour before the visit. As my mom’s cousin Marianne was driving, my mother and I jumped out of the car and walked to the finish line of the Boston Marathon. It was serial to be standing on the finish line looking at the various people surrounding it. Everyone was happy and excited for race day. You could easily pick out the participants of the marathon in the crowd. My mother and I started to talk to some of these runners and ask them questions about the race. One man we talked to was running the race for the first time. He told us what bib number he was and what race time he was hoping to get. You could see how genuinely happy this man was to be participating in the race. My mother and I wished the man good luck and I said I would cheer for him from the side line if I saw him running. Before we met my mother’s cousin back at her car, she told me to kneel down and touch the finish line with my hand so she could take a picture. I felt honored to be able to take a picture at the finish line and to meet some of the runners competing in the race. The next time I see the finish line of the Boston Marathon I hope it is after I’m done running the race.

   My prayers and condolences go to the victims and the families affected by the Boston Marathon terrorist attack. There were three casualties resulting from the bombs; four casualties all together. 260 other people were injured by the attacks; injures such as loosing legs, feet and arms. I hope that these people who were injured make a full recovery and learn how to adjust to their new way of life. In the midst of this tragedy the people of the city of Boston and of America showed their supportiveness and willingness to help. A foundation called “One Fund Boston” was established and already raised over 20 million dollars to aid the victims of the attack. Boston pride was showcased at the various sporting games of the Boston Bruins and Boston Red Sox. Both of these teams paid tribute to the attacks in their pregame shows, where they showed a video and fans took part in singing the national anthem to honor the victims of the attacks.  Boston is strong, and we showcased our strength by coming together in tragedy. My thanks go out to the first responders who risked their own lives to help those injured by the blasts. I also thank the many police officers who worked long sleepless hours to track down the ones responsible for the attacks. Because of their great efforts we were able to catch the terrorist and give Boston back a little bit of comfort and normalcy. Monday April 15th will be a day never forgotten by Boston and those effected by the attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment